SPIE Student Chapter
The Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE), an international society advancing an interdisciplinary approach to the science and application of light, formally approved University of Delhi at Acharya Narendra Dev College SPIE Student Chapter in August 2010. The chapter is open to both students of Acharya Narendra Dev College and University of Delhi. With its establishment, college has joined the elite group within India of IITs, IISc, NIITs and DTU where this chapter has been successfully running for years besides more than 150 well established chapters in other countries like USA, UK, Europe, China, Russian Federation and Canada etc. The Faculty Advisor approved for the chapter by SPIE is Dr. Amit Garg, Associate Professor, Department of Electronics. The chapter website is https://www.spieandc.org/.
With its establishment, chapter is entitled to receive the following grants:
- Activity Grants: Each Chapter can have a minimum of USD 500 available per calendar year for promoting photonics.
- Officer Travel Grant: Every year, Chapter Officers (students) have an opportunity to attend an SPIE meeting abroad with special assistance of upto USD 2,500 for travel/food/lodging from the Society.
- Visiting Lecturer Program: Distinguished lecturers can be arranged under the SPIE student chapter. Lecturers will be eligible for USD 1,500 of travel assistance.
- Collaborative Conference Grant: This grant provides a way for ambitious Chapters to organize events that offer professional development opportunities. Events designed in collaboration with one or more SPIE Student Chapters are eligible for up to USD 2,500 per event, each quarter.
Office Bearers of SPIE Student Chapter
Technical Officer- Yash Varshney
Editorial Office- Anurag Saxena
Recipients of Officer Travel Grant:
The chapter selects one of the students’ member for the Officer Travel grant to attend SPIE Optics + Photonics conference at Sandiego, USA every year. The selected student member get an opportunity to attend a leadership programme, meet student office bearers of various chapters from around the world, showcase the chapter exhibit, participate in the optics outreach games and attend the conference as well as various courses. Students have presented research papers in this huge global gathering of academicians, industry experts, researchers and scientist. The visit is fully supported by SPIE , USA with a funding upto USD 2500 besides free lodging, food etc for the duration of the conference along with registration fee waiver. In all these years officer travel grant has been granted to the following students:
- Mr Vivek Trivedi of B.Sc. (H) Physics, III yr
- Sadashiv Raj Bharadwaj of B.Sc. (H) Electronics, III yr
- Abhishek Raiwani, B. Sc. (H) Electronics, III Year
- Mr. Chiradeep Das, B.Sc. (H) Electronics, III Year
- Mr Rohit Saini, B.Sc. (H) Electronics-III
- Pratik Chakravarty of B.Sc(H) Electronics Part III
- Phalguni Mathur of B.Sc(H) Physics Part III.
- Aiman ali Raza of B.Sc(Programme) PME, Part-III
- Priyanka Kachru of B.Sc(H) Physics Part III.
- SPIE Student Chapter ANDC in collaboration with ANDC InStart Foundation and STEAMEDU organized workshop ‘Pyrobot (Code in Python to program EV3 robots)’ at ANDC on February 11, 2020.
- Wonders of Optics 2019- a hands-on workshop on Paradigm Shift in Physics Education through hands-on techniques in OPTICS” was organized in collaboration with “JOY OF LEARNING FOUNDATION, DELHI” on January 24, 2019 by University of Delhi at ANDC SPIE Student Chapter,
- A two-day Induction Workshop was held from September 25-26, 2018 for SPIE members. The workshop had an invited talk by Prof. Joby Joseph, Department of Physics, IIT Delhi on the topic of “Fabrication of Nanophotonic Structures and some Applications”. Hands-on sessions were conducted during the workshop on projects like Water drop Microscope, Communication through Fiber-Optic cables, Laser Spirograph, Lissajous light patterns through vibration and Holography.Dr. Sanjay Kumar, Department of Physics was the resource person in setting up and recording the holograms.
- A two day induction workshop was organized by the Chapter on February 9-10, 2017.The aim of the workshop was to familiarize the newly inducted members with thechapter activities and the working of the chapter. On the first day, hands-on activities were organized on the following chapter developed kits/experiments-
- Ray Optics Kit
- Wave optics Kit
- Study of diffraction of light
- Acoustic laser dancing
- Laser Spirograph
- Fiber Optics kit
- The office bearers of the ANDC SPIE (Society of Photo-optical Instrumentation Engineers) Chapter at ANDC collaborated with SPIE Chapter Manipal and SPIE NIT Goa in organizing an International Conference ‘Asia Students Photonics Conference’ from December 12-14, 2016, MIT, Manipal University, Karnataka, India.
- Organized two-day workshop on ‘Innovative Pedagogies for Modern Optics and Photonics’ on October 10-11, 2013
- Organized a two day workshop on ‘Thin Films and their Applications’ on February, 24th and 25, 2012. The workshop was attended by 39 students (Physics and Electronics Dept.). Invited talks delivered by eminent speakers like PADAMSHRI Prof. K.L. Chopra (Ex-Director, IIT - Kharagpur), Prof. Vinay Gupta (Department of Physics and Astrophysics University of Delhi), Prof. P.K. Bhatnagar (Department of Electronic Science University of Delhi) and Dr. Monika Tomar (Department of Physics, Miranda House University of Delhi). The hands-on sessions were held at Department of Physics and Astrophysics, University of Delhi. During hands-on sessions students were exposed to different tools and techniques in various laboratories like Fabrication lab, Plasma lab, Ceramic lab, Pulsed Laser Deposition lab, RF Sputtering lab, Surface Plasmon Resonance lab etc.
- A two day workshop on Digital Holography, a technology used as security feature in most of the commercial products, was organized from February 15 -16, 2011. The workshop was attended by 36 students. Eminent speakers like Prof. Kehar Singh and Joby Joseph delivered their invited talks on holography. Hands-on sessions were conducted both in the college and at department of Physics, IIT, Delhi where students successfully recorded the holograms for the very first time.
- ‘Annual Photonics Workshop 2014 - on NanoPhotonics’; International School of Photonics Cochin University of Science and Technology; February 27-28, 2014.
- National workshop on Basic Optics, Fiber Optics and Optical Communication; Maharaja Agrasen College, University of Delhi; March 8-10, 2014.
- SPIE student members, Adarsh, Prsahant and Chiradeep participated in the 5th Annual Convention organized by Regional Council (Delhi & Haryana) of Indian Association of Physics Teachers (IAPT) on August 19, 2017 at the DAV School, Shreshth Vihar, New Delhi.
- Two teams of 4 students each (Rohit Saini, Pranjal Singh, Ritesh Raj, Vikram Bhardwaj, Lokendra Singh, Rajat Mann, Gaurav Lokhna and Ashutosh Singh) attended two-day workshop on Internet of Things (IOT) organized by i3indiya in co-operation with IIT Bombay at Deen Dayal Upadhyay College, University of Delhi on October 12-13, 2018.
- Mr Anudeep AS and Mr Abhishek Udiya attended SERB Sponsored one-week workshop on ‘Deep learning algorithms formedical image processing’
- 100 students attended a hands-on workshop on Arduino organized by SPIEin association with Elecbits.
- Attended DST (Department of Science & Technology, Government of India) sponsored fourth lecture workshop on transdisciplinary areas of research and teaching held on September 27 & 28, 2019 at Deen Dayal Upadhyaya College,University of Delhi.
- Two of SPIE members, Mr Hardik Minocha and Mr Prahlad Prajapat attended 8051/52 Embedded Systems-ROBOTHLON'19 workshop held on October 4, 2019 at IIT, Delhi.
- Mr Abhishek Khanna, Mr Abhey Sharma attended National Seminar on Laser Dynamics and Fiber Optics (NSLDFO’ 20) organized by Department of Electronics & Physics of Shaheed Rajguru College of Applied Sciences for Women, University of Delhi on January 7, 2020.
National and International Conferences attended by Chapter students:
- Two students from the chapter presented their posters in two days International conference in ‘Advances in Smart Materials and Emerging Technologies’, IGDTUW, Delhi on January 23 & 24, 2020.
- Mr Rohit Saini, B.Sc. (H) Electronics-III year student attended The 2019 SPIE Structured Light OPIC (Optics and Photonics International Congress) along with SPIE leadership workshop held from April 21 to April 26, 2019 in Yokohama, Japan. He was also a part of the IoT-SNAP2019 International conference.
- Mr Devesh Yadav and Mr Avinash Kumar Lal were sent to attend Maker Faire Hyderabad event held from November 10-12, 2019 at Hyderabad.
- Sadashiv Raj Bhardwaj (B.Tech. Electronics, III yr) attended SPIE.FOCUS Armenia: 3rd International Symposium on 'Optics & its Applications'.
- Prashant Bhatt, Rachit Dobhal and Ativir Pratap Singh presented two papers titled ‘Laser Spirograph: Integrating Opticswith Mathematics’ and ‘Design and Construction of a Low Cost Solar Tracker’ at International Conference ‘Asia Students Photonics Conference’ from December 12-14, 2016, MIT, Manipal University, Karnataka, India
- Attended Winter school on ‘Bio-photonics and Bio-imaging’; SPIE Chapter of IISER, Kolkata; December 26-29, 2013.
- Mohammad Aiman Ali Raza (B. Sc. Physical Science Electronics-III yr) attended ‘Photonics West 2014’ at San Francisco, USA; February 4-6, 2014.
- SPIE Chapter organized a talk by Professor Marija Strojnik, Astrophysicist and Distinguished Professor at Optical Research Center, Mexico on October 15, 2019 at Acharya Narendra Dev College.
- SPIE 2014 President Dr. H. Philip Stahl from NASA visited the chapter at the College on March 11, 2014 and delivered a lecture on “James Webb Space Telescope, theFirst Light Machine.”
Projects undertaken by SPIE Chapter Students:
The SPIE student members have been working to develop projects, kits and activities which can be employed to improve the effectiveness of outreach activities. They have been working on the following projects:
- Newton's Disk
- Color mixing
- Solar Lamp
- Transmitting sound through light
- Anaglyph 3D
- Dispersion of Light
- Facial Recognition
- Biological Waste Segregation
- Barcode Tagging
- 3D Printer Resin Development
- Wireless Electricity
An outreach programme was organized that witnessed participation from eleven government and eleven public schools of Delhi. The programme was conducted in two stages spanning 4 months. During Stage I, workshops demonstrating various optics concepts and experiments were organized in the selected schools by the students of SPIE. At Stage II, Optics based model competition, OPTICS FAIR, was conducted at Junior (class VI-X) and Senior Levels (Class XI-XII) for the schools on January 31, 2015. Each participating school was given a grant of Rs. 2000/- to facilitate their efforts to make and exhibit Optics-based models. A similar programme was organized in 2012.
Currently, students are conducting an online Optics Outreach and Education Programme in a very interesting waywith the students of Lovely Public Schhol, New Delhi.
Birla Vidya Niketan - Indian Association of Physics Teachers (IAPT) Anveshika in coordination with the University of Delhi at ANDC SPIE Student Chapter organized Screening and Prelims for the College Level (B.Sc./M.Sc.) National Experimental Skill Test (NEST) 2014. Seven colleges of the University of Delhi with more than 50 students participated in this test.
ANDC SPIE student chapter not only gives exposure to its student members but also enables them to a good idea of research opportunities that would be available to them in future.